Monday, January 19, 2009

The 44th President of the United States of America

Tomorrow at noon, on the steps of The Capital, Barack Obama of Illinois will become a member of the most unique group of men in the world. He will become the 44th President of the United States of America.

There are so many things that I love about this country, but one of the main things is the fact that we change our heads of state, not in secret, not through a coup d’etat, but as the result of a free election where all Americans, regardless of race, wealth, status or power make a selection on a secret ballot of the person of their choice. It is a uniquely American experience.

News report indicate that as many as three million people will sit or stand in 18 degree wind chill to watch the event – more than any inauguration since Lyndon Johnson in 1965. Being a conservative, I would have much preferred that it was John McCain or, better yet, Mike Huckaby taking the oath of office. The liberal, big government is the answer to everything, political philosophy of Barack Obama frankly sends shivers down my spine. I tend to agree with President Reagan who often said that the federal government is most often the problem rather than the answer to the problem. But if I am of the belief that our system of government of the best yet invented, then I must be willing to accept the results of the 2008 Presidential Election. And accept I do.

This afternoon I listened to FOX News commentator, Glenn Beck, interview Gov. Sarah Palin of Alaska. Mr. Beck’s first question to Gov. Palin was this; “When President-elect Obama becomes President tomorrow, will he be your President?” Her answer without hesitation was, “Yes, absolutely.” She went on to say that not only would he be her President but that she would do everything in her power to make sure that his presidency was very successful. Now if I’ve learned anything during my fifty-five years on this earth, it is that Democrats will spend most of their waking hours opposing a Republican President and, in the case of a Democratic President, the Republicans will behave in a like manner. So was Gov. Palin blowing smoke?

No, I think that she was being completely truthful and here’s why. For far too long in this country, we have been more concerned about the success of a particular political party or of a particular politician rather than the success of our country. My mother called that “cutting off your nose to spite your face.” I share Gov. Palin’s view that while we compete and we do everything we can to advance our position in the political arena, when the election is over and it’s time to govern we are all in this together. If President Obama succeeds, then we all benefit. If he fails, we all will pay the price.

It is my prayer that President Obama will seek wisdom, not just from his cabinet and advisors, but first and foremost, from the Lord in heaven. It is my prayer that as he takes office, he will be overwhelmed by the realization that he cannot do this job without God’s help and like King David and King Hezekiah, he will seek his strength from the ultimate source of wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment