Thursday, January 1, 2009

So why a blog?

Actually that is a great question - and one that I asked myself when I first became aware of blogs a few years back. Being a rather private introverted individual, I really couldn't understand why someone would want to publish details of their lives and thoughts for others to read on the worldwide web. But like many first impressions, my thinking on the subject has evolved.

I can remember as a small child (maybe I should say as a young child, as I was never small) learning that some people had diaries and wrote in them daily. Being somewhat intrigued by the idea, I asked for a diary for Christmas. On Christmas morning I received a powder blue diary with a locking clasp on the front (kinda cheesy huh?). On the following New Year's Day, I penned my first and only entry in my new diary. As I remember, it was a brief discussion about the New Year's Day bowl games that I watched on TV. Thus ended my first and only attempt at "blogging" the old fashion way - which brings me back to the question, why a blog?

I must admit that lately I have found it quite interesting to read the thoughts, opinions, etc. of family and close friends on their various blogs. While I have rarely commented on others blogs, I have often found myself contemplating how I feel about the subject discussed. At times, I must admit, I have actually reevaluated my thinking on certain subjects as a result of the posts that I have read. Furthermore, I have always enjoyed a frank exchange of ideas with people who have something intelligent to say. My better half might describe my frank discussions as arguements, but to me they are just an exchange of ideas.

So with that wordy preface, I have come to the conclusion that I would enjoy expressing my opinions, thoughts, comments and observations on a blog and perhaps, generate an interesting dialogue with my readers. At the very least, it should compel me to think a little deeper about various subjects before spouting off an opinion.

So let's talk about ground rules. First and foremost, I will not use this as a forum to criticize family and friends. Even if I disagree with someone, I refuse to express my opinions in such a way that could be interpreted as an attack on anyone. Your opinions are as valuable, and in most cases, more valuable than mine. Second, I will not avoid those subjects that many consider taboo. In fact, two of the subjects that I enjoy discussing most are religion and politics. So be prepared to read a great deal about my faith, politics, current events, travel and sports. Finally, I will apologize in advance if I seem to brag excessively on my family, i.e. my grandchildren. In fact, I am of the belief that one of the greatest pleasures of being a grandparent is bragging on your grandchildren. So if you are turned off by a proud grandfather bragging on his grandchildren, you have my permission to spend your internet surfing time elsewhere.

I guess I should mention the following disclaimer. My worst subject in school, by far, was English grammar. So while I will make every attempt to be grammatically correct, please keep in mind that my skills are with numbers, not letters.

Well I guess that's enough for my first post. Hopefully, I haven't offended too many people yet. Hang with me and let enjoy this exchange of ideas.

3 comments:

  1. I love it! Welcome to the blog world! I can't wait to see what you will post...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wild. I just recommended to Steve Wolverton the other day that he should consider setting up a blog site. Congratulations you beat him to it. You older retired guys have way too much time on your hands(Ha!) For the time being I think I will continue to work until I can afford to join the wheel chair blogging brigade. Enjoy the process.

    ReplyDelete